K. Parker, P. Holden, R. Bonner, L. Schulte, S. Yerk, , C. Kline, D. Szemcsak, B. Turner, D. Markovitz, F. Ackley, C. Vitale, F. Toth, TJ Belasco, S. Eakin, D. Sundstrom, J. Roth, R. Obst, R. Slaney, and M. Bispels.
Rep Council Meeting Minutes
April 16, 2015
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order by Kathy Parker at 3:20 PM on Thursday, April 16, 2015. The following were in attendance: K. Parker, P. Holden, R. Bonner, L. Schulte, S. Yerk, , C. Kline, D. Szemcsak, B. Turner, D. Markovitz, F. Ackley, C. Vitale, F. Toth, TJ Belasco, S. Eakin, D. Sundstrom, J. Roth, R. Obst, R. Slaney, and M. Bispels.
The monthly Treasurer’s Report was distributed and the balances are as follows: Checking: $5,879.81; Savings: $5542.72 Philanthropic: $4,397.77
A. Negotiations: N/A.
B. Grievance: N/A
C. Membership: Membership is at 100%.
D. Pride: Our association sponsored 5 basketball teams at the Lower township Rec Center for this winter. This Spring the grant will be used to pay for dinner at the end of the year for both parents and students that are affiliated with the SLE Program at the high school run by both Adrienne Rennie and Maryrose Bispels. The dinner will be held at the Lobster House on May 13.
E. Social: In the process of setting a date. More information to follow.
F. Professional Rights and Responsibilities: Members are reminded that we live in a small community and to be careful about commenting on other member’s teaching policies, abilities, etc.
G. Scholarship: A motion was made and seconded to award 6 -$500 scholarships this year. Five of our members qualify for the award. In addition, our association will also have the Maxwell Scholarship. This will be given to 1 recipient majoring in education.
H. Board Liaison: N/A
I. Election: N/A
J. LAT: A discussion took place about NJEA’s Full Court Press on the Pension Promise campaign. Members are encouraged to get involved in “The Great Twitter Payday Campaign”. Kathy, Frank T., Jerry R. and Tammy M. will be attending an NJEA meeting about this campaign.
K. Cape May County Rep Council: Nothing new to report other than continue to sign up with Pat Holden for monthly PD opportunities and workshops.
L. Professional Development Committee: The committee has collected data on how our members are being evaluated and are in the process of analyzing it. Members are encouraged to utilize the post conference and go through each of the components even if you are content with your score. In addition, members are reminded to not send a rebuttal/response before having it proof read by a representative.
1) Sidebar Agreement- The board has agreed to pay married couples working in the district 25% of the amount saved by the employer or $2000 whichever is less.
2) April 30th Board Meeting – K. Parker is asking members to attend the meeting and share with the school board members all the issues and problems associated with the implementation of the PARCC Test(Loss of instruction time, limited ability to use technology, etc..).
3) Health Care Update- Representatives recently were in both schools to answer any questions or concerns. There have been many problems during the transition period but Allen Associates has been working hard to rectify those problems. If you have any issues please notify them right away.
4) Webpage Stipend- A motion was made and seconded to pay J. Roth $500 for his work on our web page and also $750 a year to maintain the site.
5) After Prom Donation- A motion was made and seconded to make a $500 donation to the after prom. It was discussed to possibly write a pride grant for next year.
Good of the Order-
There was a concern about the lack of training the high school staff received relative to the staff at Teitelman on the drugs in our community – how they are being used, how easily they be transmitted, and how to protect yourself from being exposed.
J. Roth rebuilt the association laptop and recommended for the association to purchase security software and Microsoft office.
A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:10 PM